Welcome to Corlears Plus, Corlears’ brand new after school program
At Corlears, our biggest priority is ensuring that the values that uphold our community serve to guide us throughout each school day -- and beyond. In announcing Corlears Plus, we aim to give all of our students an opportunity to choose afternoon programming that is age-appropriate, engaging, and, of course, fun! Corlears Plus will serve as a true extension of the Corlears community, after school.
New and Expanded Activities
Corlears Plus provides families and students with three activity options throughout the week: specialty classes, private music lessons, and choice time.
Specialty classes encompass once-a-week courses that families specifically register for beforehand, and take place throughout a semester. We’re excited to say that more Corlears teachers will be leading specialty classes this semester!
- Cooking with Benna, on Mondays for grades K-1
- Scratch Jr. Computer Programming with Zach, on Tuesdays for grades K-2
- Book Club with Kelly, on Tuesdays for grades 3-5
- Scratch Computer Programming with Zach, on Wednesdays for grades 3-5
- Chess, on Wednesdays for grades K-2 and 3-5
- SocRoc: Soccer Classes for Kids, on Thursdays for grades K-2
- Ceramics with Becky, on Friday for grades 2-5
- Mini-Musical, on Friday for grades PreK4-K
Choice time is the most significant (and exciting!) change to our after school program. With choice time, students who are registered for a standard day of Plus programming will have the option of choosing from several different activities: students in grades 3-5 can elect to work on STEM-related projects and challenges in our afterschool Community Room, or join the Corlears Sports Club in the gym for an intramural game led by our after school sports instructor. Younger students in grades PreK4-2 will have dedicated access to the yard, allowing them the space for age-appropriate free play with their peers.
- Private music lessons will be offered for piano, violin, and drums, and taught by experienced outside musicians. Families can sign up for 30-minute lessons for beginners, or 45-minute lessons for more experienced musicians. Lessons are offered on days throughout the week, and will be scheduled in conjunction with the instructor/Plus administrator after families sign up.
Dates for Fall 2017 Plus Programming
Fall choice time will begin on Wednesday, September 6th and run through Friday, January 26.
Specialty classes will begin on Thursday, September 14 and run through January/the beginning of February, depending on the day of the week of the class (more specific dates will be indicated on our registration page).
One significant change from prior Corlears afterschool programming is that all children -- both those enrolled in specialty classes and choice time -- will gather together at the start of each afternoon. This will allow the whole Plus community to come together, and for friends of different ages to interact and bond -- one of the best parts of the afternoon community at Corlears.
- From 3:15 to 3:45, children will enjoy snack together. Children grades PreK4 thru 1 will eat together in one space, while children grades 3 thru 5 will gather in another classroom.
- From 3:45 to 4:45, children grades PreK4 thru 1 will enjoy active play in the yard. Children grades 3 thru 5 will head to either specialty classes or a choice time activity of their choosing.
- From 4:45 to 6:00, children in grades PreK4 and Kindergarten will return to a classroom for quiet games. Children grades 1 thru 5 will go to the community room to complete their homework (upon completing their homework, older students will be allowed to join their younger friends for games).
On Thursday afternoons, because of 2:45 dismissal, snack will take place from 2:45 to 3:15, choice time and specialty classes from 3:15 to 4:15, and homework/games from 4:15 to 6:00.
Convenient Payment Options
When registering for Corlears Plus, families have several options. Financial Aid will be provided for each payment option, at the same rate as a family’s tuition (please note, financial aid is not available for private music lessons).
- Our Corlears Plus Package entitles families to one specialty class and two days of choice time, at a discounted rate of $1,750/semester (a 15% discount on the combined per class and day pricing). If needed, families can also sign up for an additional specialty class for $770/semester, and/or additional days of choice time for $640/semester for each day, using the single-day sign up option.
- Our Single-Day Sign Up allows families to sign up for specialty classes and/or choice time day(s) on an a per-day basis. The cost of a specialty class is $770/semester. The cost of one day of choice time is $640/semester.
- Note: Students who are registered for specialty classes can enjoy Plus programming on that day following the conclusion of their class, until 6:00, free of any additional charge.
- For private music lessons, parents can sign up for a semester of 30-minute lessons for $840, or 45-minute lessons for $1,120. Enrolling in a private music lesson also entitles a child to participate in choice time programming on that day, at no additional cost.
- Note: private music lessons are NOT included in the Plus Package. When registering for private music lessons, please choose Single-Day Sign Up to add any additional choice time days to your child’s week.
Corlears Plus Programming -- Cost Breakdown
The cost of after school participation will be included in a family’s tuition billing statement.
- Advanced Registration
- Registration for Corlears Plus will open on Monday, August 7th. Using Eventbrite, families will be able to sign their child up for the fall’s Plus programs, and select from the pricing and package options that best fit their schedule.
- Unplanned Changes - We understand that schedules change. There will always be a spot for your 4-10 year-old child at Corlears Plus.
- Switching Days
- If you would like to switch your child’s pre-registered choice time days for a specific week, please email Alex at firstname.lastname@example.org by 9:00am on Monday of that week. There is no charge for switching pre-registered days.
- Additional Drop-Off
- If you need to send your child to Plus on a day that they are not registered, please email Alex at email@example.com by 12:00pm on that day. He will be sure to notify your child’s classroom teachers, as well as our Plus teachers who will be able to better plan for the day’s activities. Families who have registered for any Plus programming for that semester (whether a specialty class, a day of choice time, a music lesson, or any combination) will be charged $40 for a drop-off day. Families who have not registered for any Plus programming will be charged $50 for a drop-off day. Financial aid discounts will be applied to the price of a family’s drop-off days.
- Switching Days
Please note refunds will not be offered for any days of Plus programming that a child misses.