Frequently Asked Questions
How many students attend Corlears?
- There are 140 students enrolled for the 2016-17 school year.
- Average class size is 13 students.
- Teacher to student ratio:
- 2 - 3 teachers per classroom
- 3/4s - 8/9s - 2 teachers per classroom
- 10s - 1 teacher
What is the size of the Corlears faculty?
Full-time faculty – 26
Part-time faculty – 2
- Head Teachers hold a Masters Degree
- Assistant Teachers studying for Masters Degree
Tell me about the Corlears facility.
- Fall 2011 marked the completion of the first phase of Corlears’ expansion and renovation project. As a result, all of Corlears new features are compliant with environmentally sound principles and the American Disabilities Act.
- There are 10 light-filled and spacious classrooms. A piazza exists on each of the classroom floors which is intended for informal gathering, student drop-off and pick-up.
- Our library has 7,500 volumes.
- There is a 720 square foot art studio.
- Self-contained science lab.
- A 1,720 square foot gym.
- A music room.
- Enclosed yard for recreation and play.
Tell me about the Corlears curriculum.
Corlears curriculum is interdisciplinary, active, collaborative learning within multi-age classrooms, focusing on the whole child. Learn more by visiting our curriculum page.
What are Corlears Arrival and Dismissal Times?
- 2s - 8:30-11:45
- 3s - 8:30-12:15
- Extended Day Option for 3s - 8:30 -3:15 (See Extended Day section)
- 4s - 10s - 8:30am-3:15pm
Are there extended hours?
Corlears offers three different extended day options for families for a small fee:
- Early Birds – Students arrive as early as 8:00am and are supervised and accompanied to their respective classrooms at 8:30am. A small fee is charged for Early Birds.
- After School Childcare – Childcare is available after school from 3:15-6:00pm. There is a daily charge.
- Specialty classes – Fun and interesting after school courses, such as chess, computer skills, and movement are offered during three sessions a year. This fall Corlears is adding several new additions to the lineup including a Hip Hop dance and songwriting. They are an hour or more in length after school hours. For additional information about course schedule and fees, please contact our school office, 212.741.2800. Read more about fall offerings on our Extended Day page. Spring offerings will be posted as soon as they become available.
Do families have to pack lunch for their children?
Students in our K-5th grade program are provided lunch by Butterbeans, our food service provider.
When does the 2016-17 school year begin?
- Warm-up Day! 2-4pm - All students welcome to come and have a sneak peek at their classrooms
- Ks - 10s - Wednesday, September 7th
- 3/4s - Monday, September 12th
- 3s Extended Day Begins - Monday, September 19th
- 2s Begin with Adjustment Schedule - Monday, September 19th
- 2s Full Schedule - Wednesday, October 5th
What is the tuition at Corlears for 2016-17?
- 2s Half-Day $26,750
- 3s Half Day - $26,750
- 3s & 4s Full-Day $38,850
- Kindergarten-5th Grade $40,500
There is an annual Building and Equipment fee of $1,000 included in tuition that covers building maintenance, improvements, and upgrades in classroom technology.
A bond payment is required from each family attending Corlears. How much is the bond? Is it returned to the family when it leaves the school?
Each family is required to make a non-interest bearing loan or bond of $1,000 for each child. The payment of the bond is divided so that $250 is payable the first year of enrollment; $250 the second year; and $500 the third year. Bond amounts are adjusted for families on financial aid. At the end of a family’s time at Corlears, they may request that the bond be returned or they may contribute it to one of the school’s fundraising programs.
What is the payment policy at Corlears?
A non-refundable application fee of $85.00 is payable when submitting the application for admission.
A tuition deposit of $4,500 is required for students 2 - 3 years of age who have been accepted and offered enrollment contracts. A tuition deposit of $6,000 is required for students 4 - 10 years of age. The balance of tuition is due in two equal installments. The first is due in May and the second in mid-September. Tuition installment plans are also available.
Can you please explain financial aid at Corlears?
Corlears is committed to a diverse enrollment which includes families with a variety of cultural, racial, ethnic, and economic backgrounds. Financial aid is given to families of students who are four or older on the basis of need and available funds.
If a family is interested in applying for financial aid, the forms should be submitted with the admissions application.
How much financial aid has Corlears budgeted for 2016-17?
Student recipients – 40
Total amount distributed – $1,146,672
Percentage of tuition income – 29 percent
Corlears School admits students of any race, color, national or ethnic origin to all the rights, privileges, programs, and activities generally accorded or made available to students at the school. It does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national, or ethnic origin or sexual orientation in the administration of its educational policies, admissions policies, or scholarships.