Urban Explorers Camp
Learn more about Urban Explorers Camp and register below.
Urban Explorers camp is intended for children entering a 2nd through 6th Grade classroom in September 2018.
- Corlears School
- 324 West 15th Street (between 8th and 9th Avenues)
- Corlears is easily accessible by the A, C, E, 1, 2, 3, F, M, and L subway lines.
Session Length and Dates
- Urban Explorers is offering one two week session, from June 18 - June 29.
- 9:00am - 3:00pm
- We are exploring the option of offering aftercamp care until 5:30pm. If you’re interested in this option, you will be able to indicate this on your registration form.
- $1425 for the two week session.
… And a few other FAQs
- Who are the counselors? Our Urban Explorers counselors are Dora, Kate, and Kelly. Dora and Kate are both teachers in the 8/9s at Corlears, and Kelly works as our upper grades math teacher.
- What sort of activities will my child participate in at Urban Explorers? Urban Explorers campers will do just that -- explore our urban environment! Campers will travel to various natural settings around the city, such as parks and waterways, then take what they’ve seen and observed as the inspiration for various large-scale art projects. They’ll also be plenty of time for outdoor play and recreation, community building, and swim!
- How does swim work? Twice a week, on Tuesday and Thursday mornings, our Urban Explorers campers will head to the McBurney YMCA (a ten-minute walk from Corlears) for swimming. The YMCA provides experienced lifeguards and swim instructors, who help to sort campers into small groups based on their age and experience. At each swim period, campers will enjoy a 30-minute session of aquatic instruction and recreation in the YMCA’s heated, indoor pool.
- What if my child doesn’t know how to swim? That’s no problem! We expect many campers may have limited swimming experience prior to joining the camp. Children who are totally new (or fairly new) will start with basic skills, and be aided by floaties and pool noodles to help acclimate them to the water.
- How does lunch work? Campers must bring their own lunch with them each day, that does not require refrigeration or heating. Please remember that Corlears is a nut-free facility.
- What about snack? Snack will be provided for all students -- parents need not pack snack for their child.
- What if my child isn’t feeling well? There will be a registered nurse on premises throughout the summer, in case any campers are not feeling well or need medical attention.
- Will my child receive an awesome Camp Corlears tee shirt? Why yes! Sorry, we only have shirts for campers, not parents.