Upper Grades (3rd-5th grades) Opportunity at Corlears
Corlears offers a special upper grades opportunity.
Corlears School, a Nursery through 5th Grade, New York City independent school, located in the lively neighborhood of Chelsea in downtown Manhattan, is announcing a new initiative to broaden our community and provide opportunity to elementary age school children.
The fact that our school culminates at 5th grade combined with our commitment to social justice and raising students who want be change agents in their communities, creates a unique opportunity for learning in the upper grades of Corlears.
To grow our diverse and inspiring school community, Corlears is launching an initiative to attract a small number of the best students to enter our upper grades. We have also allocated additional funds at the 3rd through 5th grade level to meet the needs of eligible families through our financial aid program.
What do the upper grades look like at Corlears?
At our school, students work both individually and collaboratively to engage in interdisciplinary problem-solving. Rigorous learning grows from rich thematic units that are social studies based.
Children are encouraged to question not only how things work, but also why. Corlears students learn from the multiple perspectives of those around them and strive to make the world a better place.
Our classes are small, with 10-15 students and two teachers in most classrooms. The individual attention each child receives allows them to grow confident in their abilities and develop a love of learning; ultimately growing into their full academic, ethical and creative potential.
How does Corlears support the outplacement to middle school process?
We have an extensive outplacement program beginning in the spring of fourth grade. Our Director of Outplacement has a close relationship with children and their families as they work together to plan and realize a child’s full potential and provide the “just right” placement. Our graduates transition to some of the most prestigious and challenging private and public middle schools throughout New York City.
How to Apply
- Have a strong desire to be part of a community that values academic, ethical and creative success
- Completed Corlears Admission Application with School Reports/Teacher Recommendations
- Completed Corlears Financial Aid Application (TADS)
- ERB (CTP-4) Test- administered by Corlears. Date to be determined. You can also take the test independently; visit https://www.erblearn.org/ to register.
- Parent interview
- Step 1: Submit application materials by December 2nd and register for the ERB test administered by Corlears
- Step 2: Sit for the ERB (CTP-4 - for current grade) test date TBD
- Step 3: Finalists will be invited to attend our Simulated School Day. TBD.
- Step 4: Parents of finalists will be invited to interview at the school this fall.
Decisions will be made by February 7th.
Please continue exploring our site to learn more about our school. Click here to take our online tour.