Welcome to Corlears Plus, Corlears’ brand new after school program.
At Corlears, our biggest priority is ensuring that the values that uphold our community serve to guide us throughout each school day -- and beyond. In announcing Corlears Plus, we aim to give all of our students an opportunity to choose afternoon programming that is age-appropriate, engaging, and, of course, fun! Corlears Plus will serve as a true extension of the Corlears community, after school.
New and Expanded Activities | Spring 2018
Corlears Plus provides families and students with three activity options throughout the week: specialty classes, private music lessons, and choice time.
Specialty classes encompass once-a-week courses that families specifically register for beforehand, and take place throughout a semester. We’ll have four Corlears teachers teaching specialty classes this semester!
- Green Peas with Benna, on Mondays for Grade PreK4
Come join Green Peas to learn different ways we can take care of our earth, like making worm bins, recycling our own paper, and growing our own food!
- Lego Robotics and Scratch with Zach, on Mondays for Grades 3-5
Use the Scratch program to build games and program your own real Lego robots!
- Book Club with Kelly, on Tuesdays for Grades 3-5
Join Kelly and friends to curl up with a good book and talk about all the characters, themes, plot twists, and more!
- Scratch Jr. with Zach, on Tuesdays for Grades K-2
Students will create their own animated stories using the Scratch Jr. iPad app [Note: this class will have the same curriculum as our fall Scratch Jr. class}.
- Rook-ie Chess, on Wednesdays for Grades K-1
Join Coach Alicia to begin your journey to becoming a Chess Grandmaster!
- Checkmate Chess, on Wednesdays for Grades 2-5
For intermediate chess players, join Coach Tony for this class, serving as a bridge from the basic rules of the game to more interesting strategies and techniques such as piece development, castling, and the importance of space on the board.
- Stage Stars Theater, on Thursdays for Grades 1-5
In Stage Stars Theater, we’ll take current pop hits from our student favorites and use them to develop an original musical!
- SocRoc: Soccer Classes for Kids, on Thursdays for Grades PreK4-2
This class is designed to give students a positive first impression of soccer and exercise in a noncompetitive environment.
- Recycled Art with Becky, on Fridays for Grades 2-5
Have lots of fun creating art and learning about artists who work with materials that usually might get recycled or thrown away.
- Mini-Musicals, on Fridays for Grades PreK4-K
Join Mini-Musicals as they go “Into the Woods,” singing songs as Cinderella, Jack, and LIttle Red, working together to climb beanstalks, wear glass slippers to a ball, and adventure to grandmother’s house!
- Green Peas with Benna, on Mondays for Grade PreK4
With choice time, students who are registered for a standard day of Plus programming will have the option of choosing from several different activities: students in grades 2-5 can elect to work on STEM-related projects and challenges in our afterschool Community Room, or join the Corlears Sports Club in the gym for an intramural game led by our after school sports instructor. Younger students in grades PreK4-1 will have dedicated access to the yard, allowing them the space for age-appropriate free play with their peers.
- Private music lessons will be offered for piano, violin, drums, and guitar, and taught by experienced outside musicians. Families can sign up for 30-minute lessons for beginners, or 45-minute lessons for more experienced musicians. Lessons are offered on days throughout the week, and will be scheduled in conjunction with the instructor/Plus administrator after families sign up.
Dates for Spring 2018 Plus Programming
Fall choice time will conclude on Friday, February 2, with Spring choice time beginning on Monday, February 5. Please note that any family not registered for Spring choice time whose child attends Plus on or after February 5 will be charged the drop-off fee of $50. Choice time will run until Thursday, June 7, the second to last day of the school year.
Spring specialty classes will also begin on Monday, February 5th, and will conclude on Friday, June 1st.
Fall specialty classes will conclude on the following dates:
- Monday classes: January 8
- Tuesday classes: January 16
- Wednesday classes: January 17
- Thursday classes: January 25
- Friday classes: February 2
*Families needing Plus care for their children after the conclusion of their fall specialty class, but before the new semester of choice time begins on February 5, will be charged the drop-in rate of $40 for any Plus days attended.
One significant change from prior Corlears afterschool programming is that all children -- both those enrolled in specialty classes and choice time -- will gather together at the start of each afternoon. This will allow the whole Plus community to come together, and for friends of different ages to interact and bond -- one of the best parts of the afternoon community at Corlears.
- From 3:15 to 3:45, children will enjoy snack together. Children grades PreK4 through 1 will eat together in one space, while children grades 2 through 5 will gather in another classroom.
- From 3:45 to 4:45, children grades PreK4 through 1 will enjoy active play in the yard. Children grades 2 through 5 will head to either specialty classes or a choice time activity of their choosing.
- From 4:45 to 6:00, children in grades PreK4 and Kindergarten will return to a classroom for quiet games. Children grades 1 through 5 will go to the community room to complete their homework (upon completing their homework, older students will be allowed to join their younger friends for games).
On Thursday afternoons, because of 2:45 dismissal, snack will take place from 2:45 to 3:15, choice time and specialty classes from 3:15 to 4:15, and homework/games from 4:15 to 6:00.
Convenient Payment Options
When registering for Corlears Plus, families have several options. Financial Aid will be provided for each payment option, at the same rate as a family’s tuition (please note, financial aid is not available for private music lessons; however if you would like for your child to take music lessons, please reach out to Alex regarding flexible payment options).
- Our Corlears Plus Package entitles families to one specialty class and two days of choice time, at a discounted rate of $1,750/semester (a 15% discount on the combined per class and day pricing). If needed, families can also sign up for an additional specialty class for $770/semester, and/or additional days of choice time for $640/semester for each day, using the single-day sign up option.
- Our Single-Day Sign Up allows families to sign up for specialty classes and/or choice time day(s) on an a per-day basis. The cost of a specialty class is $770/semester. The cost of one day of choice time is $640/semester.
- Note: Students who are registered for specialty classes can enjoy Plus programming on that day following the conclusion of their class, until 6:00, free of any additional charge.
- For private music lessons, parents can sign up for a semester of 30-minute lessons for $840, or 45-minute lessons for $1,120. Enrolling in a private music lesson also entitles a child to participate in choice time programming on that day, at no additional cost.
- Note: private music lessons are NOT included in the Plus Package. When registering for private music lessons, please choose Single-Day Sign Up to add any additional choice time days to your child’s week.
Corlears Plus Programming -- Cost Breakdown
The cost of after school participation will be included in a family’s tuition billing statement.
- Advanced Registration
- Registration for Corlears Plus will open on Thursday, December 7th. Using Eventbrite, families will be able to sign their child up for the fall’s Plus programs, and select from the pricing and package options that best fit their schedule.
- Unplanned Changes - We understand that schedules change. There will always be a spot for your 4-10 year-old child at Corlears Plus.
- Switching Days
- If you would like to switch your child’s pre-registered choice time days for a specific week, please email Alex at firstname.lastname@example.org by 9:00am on Monday of that week. There is no charge for switching pre-registered days.
- Additional Drop-Off
- If you need to send your child to Plus on a day that they are not registered, please email Alex at email@example.com by 12:00pm on that day. He will be sure to notify your child’s classroom teachers, as well as our Plus teachers who will be able to better plan for the day’s activities. Families who have registered for any Plus programming for that semester (whether a specialty class, a day of choice time, a music lesson, or any combination) will be charged $40 for a drop-off day. Families who have not registered for any Plus programming will be charged $50 for a drop-off day. Financial aid discounts will be applied to the price of a family’s drop-off days.
- Switching Days
Please note refunds will not be offered for any days of Plus programming that a child misses.