Welcome to Corlears Plus, our Corlears after school program!
At Corlears, our biggest priority is ensuring that the values that uphold our community serve to guide us throughout each school day -- and beyond. With Corlears Plus, we aim to give all of our students an opportunity to choose afternoon programming that is age-appropriate, engaging, and, of course, fun! Corlears Plus serves as a true extension of the Corlears community, after school.
New and Expanded Activities | Fall 2018
Corlears Plus provides families and students with three activity options throughout the week: specialty classes, private music lessons, and choice time.
Specialty classes encompass once-a-week courses that families specifically register for beforehand, and take place throughout a semester. We’ll have four Corlears teachers teaching specialty classes this semester! We've also added one session to each specialty class this year, for a total of 15 sessions.
- Green Peas with Benna, on Mondays for Grade PreK4 and K
- Have you ever wondered about composting? Do you want to learn how to both GROW and COOK your own food? Come join Green Peas to learn different ways we can use art, cooking, and gardening to take care of our earth! From creating our own mini worm bins and making new paper out of paper scraps, to building small planters and learning about different kinds of energy, to exploring in and tending to our Corlears garden... we will explore a lot of sustainability concepts and have a ton of fun while we learn about our amazing planet.
Active Warriors, on Mondays for Grades 1-5
- Join our partners at Active Arts NYC for a class that combines yoga, agility, and fencing all in one! Geared towards those who love everything ninja, Jedi, or knight-related, our Warriors will learn to center themselves through meditation, build strength and endurance through obstacle courses, and begin learning proper defense skills with their very own (foam) sword!
Scratch Jr. Computer Programming with Zach, on Tuesday for Grades K-2
In this class, young students will use the Scratch Jr. iPad app to create small stories. Their stories will include moving characters, text, and recorded audio! They'll create these stories by writing "scripts," which are strings of colorful blocks that direct the movement and appearance of characters on the "stage." In creating these stories, young students will be improving their ability to think in logical, detail-oriented ways. Some of the blocks they'll use include: hide/show, rotate, "talk," loop, shrink/grow, background switch, and more!
Game Makers with Dora, on Tuesday for Grades 3-5
Join Dora, Corlears' resident gaming master, for this thrilling exploration of all-things-board-games! Students will explore the different components of games, study how games are constructed, and, of course, have plenty of time for game-playing. The class will culminate with students creating their very own board games, to be submitted for approval by the Corlears Gaming Committee. Games will then be housed in our our permanent Corlears Board Game Collection. So roll the dice and take your turn at Game Makers!
Rook-ie Chess, on Wednesdays for Grades PreK4-1
- We welcome all students who are just starting out in chess to take their first steps towards becoming a Grandmaster! In this class, teachers from NY Chess Kids will cover the basic rules of chess: piece movements, checks/checkmates, "special rules," and piece values. Each student will strive to play one complete game of chess each week against a classmate!
- Checkmate Chess, on Wednesdays for Grades 2-5
- This class will serve as a bridge from the basic rules of the game to more interesting tasks such as piece development, castling, and the importance of space on the board. Students will also learn to play for the central squares, to win specific pieces from their opponents, and to finish off a game utilizing certain checkmate patterns. Teachers from NY Chess Kids will lead the class with hands-on practice games and puzzle workshops. We also hope to introduce tournament play to interested students!
- SocRoc: Soccer Classes for Kids, on Thursdays for Grades PreK4-1
This class is designed to give students a positive first impression of soccer and exercise in a noncompetitive environment. Emphasis is placed on building teamwork and sportsmanship, as well as ball control, passing, and goal-scoring. All of the basic soccer skills will be taught with high energy, story lines, and fun! SocRoc was developed by former professional soccer player and certified strength and conditioning specialist James Christie.
Stage Stars: Annie, on Thursdays for Grade 1-5
The Stage Theater School is thrilled to offer our popular “Stage Stars” classes to our Corlears students this fall. The Stage Stars students will be working on the classic musical Annie, which they will perform for family and friends at the end of the session. Annie is the story of an adorable and mischievous Orphan who escapes the mean Miss Hannigan and is luckily adopted by the rich millionaire Daddy Warbucks. Set in the 1920's, this show is full of humor and classic musical numbers. Annie is a heartwarming story of friendship, courage, and strength that our students will love performing! At our weekly classes, students will rehearse their dramatic scenes, as well as practice singing and dance numbers. Our classes are taught by professional performers from the Broadway stage who are hand picked for their talent and love for teaching children. Our aim is to help build confidence, self-esteem and creativity, while also providing top quality theater training in a fun weekly class. We hope you will join us for this wonderful musical this Fall.
- Ceramics with Becky, on Fridays for Grades 1-5
- Students will learn basic methods for working with clay slabs and coils, and use these methods to build a variety of functional objects. Self-expression will be encouraged and nurtured through students adding their own imaginative clay details, carved designs, and colorful glazes. Through learning about the structure of clay, its affordances and limitations, students will have a deeper understanding and appreciation for it, and have fun in the process! Students will also have a chance to try working on the pottery wheel we have in the studio.
- Mini-Musicals: Under the Sea, on Fridays for Grades PreK4-K
- Join some amazing theater teachers from Child’s Play NY as you learn to speak mermaid/merman and swim and play with your family under the sea! Make a trade for legs with the Sea Witch for a special skill that only you possess. Play an exciting game of Ocean Tag – and be careful not to get turned into a statue! Dance at the ball on your new found legs and sing such classics as “Under the Sea”, and “Part of Your World”.
- Green Peas with Benna, on Mondays for Grade PreK4 and K
- With choice time, students who are registered for a standard day of Plus programming will have the option of choosing from several different activities. Students in grades 2-5 can elect to work on a STEAM project, such as catapult-building, slime-making, or making and writing in invisible ink; or play sports in the gym, with games like capture-the-flag, basketball, or relay races. Younger students in grades PreK4-1 will have dedicated access to the yard, allowing them the space for age-appropriate free play with their peers.
- Private music lessons will be offered for piano, drums, and guitar. Piano lessons will be taught by Keyla Orozco (also known as our beloved music teacher César’s sister!), while drum and guitar lessons will be taught by Fernando Valladares. Classes are offered at the following times, for all experience levels (please note: for lessons beginning at 3:15/2:45 on Thursdays, children will be given snack by the music teacher):
Piano: Mondays from 3:15-3:45, 3:45-4:15, 4:15-4:45, 4:45-5:15; Wednesdays from 3:15-3:45, 3:45-4:15, 4:15-4:45, 4:45-5:15
Drums: Tuesdays from 4:15-4:45, 4:45-5:15; Thursdays from 2:45-3:15, 3:15-3:45, 3:45-4:15
Guitar: Tuesdays from 3:15-3:45, 3:45-4:15; Thursdays from 4:15-4:45, 4:45-5:15
Dates for 2018 Fall Plus Programming
Fall choice time will begin on the first day of school -- Wednesday, September 5. The fall semester of choice time will run through Friday, February 1.
Fall specialty classes and music lessons will begin and conclude on the following days:
- Monday: September 17 -- January 28
- Tuesday: September 18 -- January 15
- Wednesday: September 26 -- January 23
- Thursday: September 20 -- January 24
- Friday: September 21 -- February 1 (Note: Friday classes will have a bonus class on Wednesday, January 30)
*Any family that registers for a specialty class will be able to send their child to Corlears Plus for choice time on that specific day, before the class has begun or after the class has concluded, at no additional charge during the fall semester. For example, if your child is registered for Chess on Wednesdays, they can attend Corlears Plus on Wednesday, September 5; Wednesday, September 12; and Wednesday, January 30, for no additional cost.
All children at Corlears Plus -- both those enrolled in specialty classes and choice time -- will gather together at the start of each afternoon. This will allow the whole Plus community to come together, and for friends of different ages to interact and bond -- one of the best parts of the afternoon community at Corlears.
- From 3:15 to 3:45, children will enjoy snack together. Children grades PreK4 through 1 will eat together in one classroom, while children grades 2 through 5 will gather in another classroom.
- From 3:45 to 4:45, children go to either that specialty class, or participate in choice time. At choice time, children in grades PreK4 through 1 will enjoy active play in the yard, while children in grades 2 through 5 will have a choice between a STEAM project or sports in the gym.
- From 4:45 to 6:00, children in grades PreK4 and Kindergarten will return to a classroom for games and art projects. Children in grades 1 through 5 will go to an adjacent Plus classroom to complete their homework (upon completing their homework, older students will be allowed to join their younger friends for games).
On Thursday afternoons, because of 2:45 dismissal, snack will take place from 2:45 to 3:15, choice time and specialty classes from 3:15 to 4:15, and homework/games from 4:15 to 6:00.
Corlears Plus Pricing
- One day of choice time: $650
- One specialty class: $810 early-bird rate, available until Friday, September 7! ($825 after September 7)
- One private music lesson: $900
We've also got two Plus Package discounts available!
- Sign up for two specialty classes, and get any additional specialty class OR day of choice time 5% off!
- Sign up for three days of choice time, and get any additional days of choice time OR specialty classes at 5% off!
- Once you sign up for two specialty classes or three days of choice time, each additional day of choice time drops to $617.50, and each additional specialty class drops to $769.50.
*For families receiving financial aid, the price of Corlears Plus programming (all choice time and specialty classes) will be discounted at the same rate of a family’s tuition. Simply enter your child’s discount code when registering. Families eligible for Plus Package discounts will also receive those discounts, in addition to their financial aid discount. Please note that private music lessons are not eligible for financial aid discounts. If you have any questions about pricing for private music lessons, please contact Alex directly.
- Advanced Registration
- Registration for Corlears Plus will open on Wednesday, August 22nd. You'll be able to register here on our Corlears Plus webpage, using our easy-to-use registration system.
- Unplanned Changes - We understand that schedules change. There will always be a spot for your 4-10 year-old child at Corlears Plus.
- Switching Days
- If you would like to switch your child’s pre-registered choice time days for a specific week, please email Alex at firstname.lastname@example.org by 9:00am on Monday of that week. There is no charge for switching pre-registered days.
- Additional Drop-Off
- If you need to send your child to Plus on a day that they are not registered, please email Alex at email@example.com by 12:00pm on that day. He will be sure to notify your child’s classroom teachers, as well as our Plus teachers who will be able to better plan for the day’s activities. Families will be charged $40 for an additional drop-off day at Corlears Plus, and billed at the end of each week via our Corlears Plus registration system.
- Switching Days
Please note: refunds will not be offered for any days of Plus programming that a child misses.
Still have questions about Corlears Plus? Check out these FAQs:
How does payment work?
With Sawyer, our new registration system, families can pay via credit card at checkout, similarly to any other online purchase.
Why do I have to sign up in advance for choice time, in addition to specialty classes?
Signing up for choice time beforehand will give our choice time instructors an opportunity to more deliberately plan lessons and craft activities for your children.
What if I arrive aver 6:00pm to pick up my child?
Parents are expected to make every effort to pick up their child before 6:00pm. If you think that you will be late to pick up your child, please call the school and inform our receptionist. After three instances of late pick up, parents will be required to attend a daytime meeting with the Head of School and Director of Auxiliary Programs, during which a plan for avoiding future lateness must be presented. Any subsequent late pick ups may result in the family losing access to Corlears Plus. (This policy is also outlined in our family handbook)